Sunday, January 18, 2009

Viva Las Vegas?

For those of you who have never been to Las Vegas or have only visited the Strip, here is the other side of Sin City. The side that has no neon lights or showgirls. I had a purpose today, to go to Red Rock Canyon to shoot some photos for a project. Not that I minded. This is one place I can go to over and over again. I have to admit it though, I'm a "city" girl. I feel most at home in somewhere like London or New York. Despite that, I thoroughly appreciate nature and Red Rock Canyon is a great place to do it. Best part is it's only about a 30 minute drive from the Strip, depending on our wonderful traffic here.


Today, I only went to the entrance and parked the car to take these photos but you can go on a drive through and even hike there. The last few times that my mother-in-law has visited from England we have taken her there. As someone who grew up on Westerns she is fascinated by the desert landscape. She was 80 years old on her last visit and to watch her looking at this stunning landscape is so rewarding. It doesn't cost much for the drive ($5US I think) but no matter the price it is something that everyone should do if they visit Las Vegas for more than a weekend. Just make sure if you do it in the height of summer bring PLENTY of water. When it's 110 on the Strip it's probably about 125 out there. If you are interested then check out the site with all the information http://www.redrockcanyonlv.org/, explains it much better than I can. I just wanted to share this one stunning part of this city.




4 comments:

  1. Oh, pretty! I've never had much desire to go to Las Vegas, but I definitely would love to see the side of it you've pictured.

    Oh, and by the way, tag, you're it!
    http://youvegotmaille.blogspot.com/2009/01/tagnabbit.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. great photos and thanks for the info. I think we're going to try to go to vegas at the end of April - never been there. I definitely want to do more than the strip because ... well, I like to take photos ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Stunning scenery I am soooooo jealous!!!!! X

    ReplyDelete
  4. Those are wonderful pictuers!! We've wanted to go to L.V. for a holiday. But we too would much rather go outside the city to see some of the sites. Your pictures make me want to go 4-wheeling!!

    ReplyDelete