Sunday, August 23, 2009

New Discovery

I found this great place. It's this building and it has books, magazines, cd's and dvd's you can borrow!! It's called The Library and it is the best place ever!! LMAO Yes, I'm being a dingbat...apologies. Actually the libraries here in Las Vegas are new to me despite having lived here for 15 years I finally went to the main Clark County Library a few weeks ago and got a library card. Initially it was so I could use their computers to print a few things since I'm sick of going to Kinko's and paying not only to print but to use their computers. The computers at the library are free to use and you only pay for the copies which are half the price of Kinko's. While I was there the first time, the husband and I got a few cd's and a dvd (which we never got to watch). It was a Kirk Douglas movie which I may get again. The last time I went was to use the computer and I was checking out the dvd's and they had a volume of season one of The Streets of San Francisco. Now, yes I love this show because of the fact that it is based in SF but it was a great series and the relationship between Stone and Keller (Karl Malden and Michael Douglas) was brilliant. There was another one there at the time but I just got the one. Of course, today when I went someone had it out.

I also got a few books last time. Mostly wire books such as Sharilyn Miller's Bead on a Wire which is an excellent book. I'd recommend it as a must have for any level of wire worker. It is a great reference book for tools and basic designs that can be used over and over. Definitely one that is on my Wish List over at Amazon now. The other books weren't as good, one was downright awful.....great for inspiration but definitely not for a novice. Today, when I brought those books back I checked out a couple of issues of Bead & Button magazine from 2005. I've had a subscription to this magazine for a few years now and have quite a few issues I had bought individually before that but only one from 2005. There are a few projects I may have to get photocopied to hang on to. Personally, this magazine is one of my favorites hence the subscription. I find their instructions and photos impeccable and their range of projects is brilliant. Something for everyone. Mostly, I like to use it as inspiration and to sometimes alter the projects more to my personal taste. The only other magazine I really like is Step by Step Wire. They have a lot of great projects and good instructions. I'm a very visual learner....I like to see every step as well as read the description. That's why I love to take classes. Plus, who doesn't like to hangout with other jewelry people and just talk about making jewelry?!? Ok, enough about my new discovery and back to looking at the pretty designs in the B&B magazine.

Oh, don't forget there is only one week left to enter the EJDSS Team blog giveaway here. The prize is a pair of Silver Chainmaille Earrings made by ME!!

8 comments:

  1. I love the library! My friends think it's funny that I go there and use it... but it's GREAT! I eat books, so the fact that I can read them for free is so fabulous. Can't believe I didn't think of going there until last year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh my - the first thing I do whenever we move to a new place is get a library card. So many books are not "keepers" but just amusement, why spend your hard earned dollars to buy something you are going to "use once" so to speak? And yes libraries have all sorts of things available - for free - besides books. Libraries are the BEST!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know how anyone can do without the library.We use it all the time. This summer they had a different event for children everyday.They also had a reading contest with ice cream at the awards celebration.
    Love the Library.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Duh- the library! That's not me saying it, it's my boyfriend saying it to me! I'm like you in that I always forget about it, but it's such a wonderful resource that I should be taking advantage of. I'm an avid reader and fly through copies I buy at target- big mistake. Should be checking them out for free. Sigh...when will I learn?

    Good point about the magazines. I forget you can get those there too!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's sad that I've never been inside the library of my city and I've lived here for 10 years. This is why I miss going to school. At least our university had volumes upon volumes of books I could peruse.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love libraries and books...but I love the internet, too! And Theresa, your comment about visiting blogs is so right on. As I get disillusioned with EC, I realize I'll just "collect" the blogs I plan to keep following regardless of EC or other schemes...just 'cuz I love to see the views and the info-and yours is one, too!! Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the scent of a library, all the old books stirred in with the new. I love the furniture most have and the solitude. I love the reverence people seem to have when they are there for the knowledge that surrounds. You are so right. It's a great place to be.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I Love Libraries! But I am a Librarian! lol {:-Deb

    ReplyDelete